Day 232. Egersund weather and restday.

Posted by: James on August 20, 2009

Distance 0km | Time 0hrs | Ascent 0m | Descent 0m

Day 232.1 One of the 150 year old streets in Egersund with original wooden houses on both sides.It was windy in the morning but nowhere as bad as the weather forecast predicted. I was in the mindset for a day off and decided I would rent as bicycle and go and explore the town of Egersund some 3 km to the south.

I left around 1100 and cycled down the road past the kayak and along the shore of the basin to the town. It was warm and quite humid. There was just enough wind to justify a day off, but I could have paddled if I wanted.

Once in Egersund I wandered around town for a couple of hours. There was an old centre with wooden houses in narrow streets which was built around the middle of the 1800’s after a fire had destroyed the more medieval town. It was very quaint and well preserved and was laid out in a grid pattern with leafy streets to act a fire breaks. These old houses housed some book shops, tourist shops and even a sports shop and hairdresser. I visited the hairdresser for a number 1.

Day 232.2 The old church in Egersund is over 200 years oldThere was a old church also in this quarter. Parts of this church date from 1620 but it was reconstructed in 1785. It is the towns’ oldest building. Egersund is quite a devout town and there are lots of different denominations here.

After that I visited an electrical store to buy an external hard drive to back up the writing and the photos. The laptop could not hold the 5000 photos I had and I only had them on the discs they were taken on. If the discs got wet I might lose the lot.

The lack of a strong wind made me feel a bit guilty all day as I sat in cafes and drank coffee, browsed through newspapers and otherwise acted as a tourist. Towards the end of the afternoon I went food shopping and bought enough for the next week.

While I was in the supermarket the forecast heavy rain arrived. I thought it would be a front but this was accompanied by thunder and lightning. It was very heavy and within minutes the streets were flowing. I had another coffee and waited for it to subside. I was not cycling in that unless I had too.

I did find out that the coastline Tom and I paddled down a couple of days ago was in fact anorthosite and not granite as I earlier stated. Anorthosite is relatively rare on earth but the moon is made of it. What happen here was that about a billion years ago a huge magma chamber was forced in the surrounding gneiss at a depth of some 20 km below the surface. This magma chamber was about 25-40 km in diameter and 7 km deep. As this silca rich magma slowly cooled the predominant crystals which formed were plagioclase and these constitute the anorthosite rock. This cooled, solidified chamber was then slowly forced up and the 20 km of rock which lay above it was eroded away exposing the anorthosite.

When the rain stopped I cycled back to the campsite with the supplies and set about backing up all the photos onto the new hard drive. This took good few hours. I finished just in time to go and have a salad at the café across the road. I did the bog that evening and am now ready to continue tomorrow whatever the weather.

Egersund was home to a large fishing fleet. This fleet relied heavily on the mackerel at this time of year. However unusually the mackerel did not come here this year but carried on up the coast due to currents and temperatures. As a consequence the fishing fleet has left Egersund and followed the mackerel up past Stavanger to Haugesund. So I saw no evidence of this large fishing fleet or industry here.

It had possibily been the most relaxing day this year. I just sauntered round the charming small town of Egersund as a tourist. I hope I don’t have to pay for it later with some long days to reach Oslo on the 6th September.

Comments are closed.